Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sweet Sundays

This is one of our favorite dessert recipes! My good friend, Lisa who lives in Georgia, shared this recipe with me years ago. Lisa comes from a long line of wonderful southern cooks, and always creates delicious food! However when I asked her for the recipe is was a bit difficult at first because Lisa is a "little of this, and a little of that" kind of cook, so she really had to pay attention to the exact amounts before she could actually write down the recipe for me :) Thank you Lisa, you are amazing and I miss you tons! :)

Sous Chef: Brian (my typical helper on Sundays)

Recipe: Lisa's Peach Cobbler

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 stick butter, melted
¾ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 (16 oz) can peaches (I used a jar of peaches that I canned last week :)
Cinnamon

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Melt butter. Add butter, milk and vanilla to dry ingredients. Stir and pour into a 9x13 pan. Drain fruit (I like to add a little bit of peach juice to the batter too) and place onto batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

NOTES: I recently took a quick breads class, and the main thing that the chef stressed over and over again was how to correctly combine ingredients. Combine dry ingredients, Combine wet ingredients and only after your oven is pre-heated and your pan is ready THEN combine together the wet and dry and quickly get the product in the oven, so the baking powder or baking soda reacts in the oven not waiting on your counter top :) DRY, WET, Combine, OVEN! :) This creates a perfect consistency when baking! :)

Critiques ~

Brian: "This is the best cobbler you've ever made!" (BTW, I make this about once a month :)
Megan: "Two thumbs up!"
Zachary: "Super good, thank you mom!"
Anna: "This is perfect!"
Amelia: "Mmmm...Good!"

No comments: