Monday, November 9, 2009

Sweet Sundays

I had planned on posting this recipe last night, but it obviously didn't happen! This recipe turned out good, but not as good as it normally does...I was in a hurry, and didn't take the time to make it great...and we didn't have any walnuts!! (Side note to "my emergency pantry friend": I would have called you, but like I said, I was trying to rush and by the time I realized, it was too late!)

Sous Chef: Amelia

Recipe: Oatmeal Cake (given to me by my mother)

1 cup quick oatmeal, uncooked
¼ cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
8 oz chocolate chips
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup sugar

Topping:
3 T butter
¾ cup brown sugar
4 tsp milk
2 egg yolks
1 cup walnuts
1 cup coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Add oats to 1 ¼ cup boiling water and set aside. Cream margarine, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Combine spices and flour and add to creamed mixture. Add oatmeal. Grease and flour 9x13 pan. Pour mixture into pan and top with chocolate chips, walnuts and sugar. Bake for 30 minutes. While baking, melt butter and combine remaining ingredients. May substitute cream for milk if a richer topping is desired. Spread on top of finished cake and broil until nicely browned, about 5 minutes (watch carefully!...Really! I usually keep the oven door open and watch it, but this time I got distracted, and ended up making the topping a bit more brown than normal...AND I didn't have walnuts, so it didn't look or taste as good!)

Critiques ~
Brian: "Too many chocolate chips!" (He doesn't even like chocolate chips in cookies)
Zachary: "Wonderful!"
Anna: She didn't want to try it, she only wanted ice cream.
Amelia: "Good."

No comments: