Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays


Yes, I know it has been awhile since I've posted anything on this blog!  Almost an entire month!!  We have been enjoying a lot of repeat meals, so there hasn't been anything new to share.  Today I did try a new recipe and it turned out so good, that I had to share! :)

Sous Chef:  Brian (his idea and lots of his help!)

Recipe:  Sushi Rolls

4 cups sushi rice (we added 2 T. sugar & 3 T. seasoned rice vinegar)
4 sheets of nori (dried seaweed)
1 avocado
8 oz. imitation crab meat
2 T. light mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. salt
black pepper
1 cucumber
1-2 oz. cream cheese

Peel avocado and cut into strips. Place crab into bowl and add mayonnaise, salt and a little bit of black pepper. Peel and seed cucumber and cut into strips. Slice cream cheese into narrow strips (I'm not sure if my method is correct, but the best way I found was to take a sharp, wet knife and slice the cream cheese into desired width and length...we made ours about 1/8 - 1/4 inch diameter).  Adding other favorite ingredients might include shrimp, salmon, green onions, jalapeno, etc.

ROLLING:

This was the first time I have ever made sushi, so I followed a video online to help with the rolling.  I don't have the handy sushi bamboo roller-thingy, so I improvised.  I used a plain piece of plastic wrap, and surprisingly it worked very well, so well in fact, that I won't bother buying a bamboo roller. :) 

* Rolling TIP: Make sure you roll tight, so there aren't air pockets in the middle, which allows the ingredients to more easily fall out.

* Cutting TIP: When slicing, use a sharp knife, and clean with a damp, wet towel between each cut to clear away the sticky rice, which allows smoother cutting.

Critiques:  "This is awesome!"...and "This is as good as Sushi Town (our favorite sushi restaurant)!"

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Those look amazing! Great job! I'm impressed all your kids like sushi too.

emily :) said...

Thank you! It was a lot easier than I thought! Everyone in our family loves sushi, except Zachary, who really doesn't like the seaweed...also he is not a fan of fish. He just deconstructs the roll and is happy eating it without the seaweed.
Amelia is our biggest fan! She will actually eat the slices of ginger that come with the rolls and her favorite is the spicy tuna roll....she asks to go to "Tuna Town" (as she calls it) all the time :)