Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sweet Sundays

My wonderful husband, Brian, celebrated his birthday this week, and since he was out of town in Alaska on his actual birthday, we have been celebrating this weekend :) I know he loves Rice Pudding, so I thought I would try to make it for dessert tonight. Happy Birthday Brian!!


Sous Chef: no takers...too busy building forts! ;)

Recipe: Rice Pudding (not sure of the origin)

3 eggs
2 T. honey
6 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup milk (I used part milk and part half & half, that needed to be used up)
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup raisins (I didn't add them because Brian doesn't care for raisins)

Beat eggs. Add honey, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon, and mix well. Stir in vanilla, milk, rice and raisins. Place in a 2-quart casserole dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Stir after 25 minutes.

NOTES: After tasting this recipe the rice didn't seem soft enough. Next time, I will make sure the rice is really well cooked and add it to the mixture hot...my rice was leftover and had been cold in the refrigerator. Perhaps that will soften the rice....??

Critiques:
Megan: "This is good."
Zachary: "Mmm...good stuff mom!"
Anna: "I'm too full..." (not sure if this counts as negative because she didn't even try it.)
Amelia: "Good."
Brian, the Birthday Guy's opinion, the one that really counts: "It's okay...I prefer the texture of store bought rice pudding." (softer rice & more pudding like...ours turned out more custard like).
Me: I agree with Brian :)

No comments: