Saturday, November 21, 2009

Savory Saturdays



Today I had to make a soup for a church activity, and I choose one that had been taught by Chef Joy during a food class that I took last week at Whole Foods.  This is a soup that people seem to like if they really like pumpkin.  I've had such mixed reviews, that I was nervous to take it to the activity today.  I personally love it, but I don't think it was loved by all.  Are you a pumpkin lover??

Sous Chef: all were still sleeping (I had to wake up at 7:00 to make it for the activity this morning)

Recipe: Pumpkin Apple Bisque (by Chef Joy)

1 T. butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 T. fresh grated ginger
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
16 oz. applesauce, unsweetened
15 oz. canned pumpkin puree
32 oz. chicken broth, low sodium
1 T. honey
Hot Sauce to taste, enough to add a zing
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream

Melt butter in saucepan.  Add onion and saute until soft.  Add ginger and cinnamon and saute a minute more.  Stir in applesauce, pumpkin, broth, honey, hot sauce and salt.  Simmer for 5 minutes or until flavors combine.  Taste and adjust, more salt? more zing? Stir in cream, heat and serve.

Critiques ~  Mixed reviews in our house!

No comments: